UNESCO World Heritage in Mechelen Belgium
The UNESCO World Heritage in Mechelen Belgium put a spanner in the works of our travel plans. We had planned to be in Mechelen to deal with the cuisine of Flanders. But it turns out differently than so often on our travels. When we were there, a topic came to mind that we could not ignore. We were so impressed by the Renaissance and Gothic architecture in the old town that we overturned our plans. Instead of the culinary delights of Mechelen, we devoted ourselves to the city's beguinages. With the Sint Rombouts Cathedral, these are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Mechelen. The cuisine was neglected. But it should be worth it. Here we present the buildings that we discovered on our tour:
UNESCO World Heritage in Mechelen Belgium: the large and small beguinages
Beguinages were everywhere in Flanders during the Renaissance. These were communities of convenience of women. They supported each other and found protection in the community. Most were widows who joined these communities after their husbands died. The beguinages were organized like a monastery. However, the Beguines did not take any vows. So the women could leave the community again as soon as other options were available. The Mechelen beguinages are close together. They belong to the UNESCO world heritage of the beguinages and provide an insight into life at that time. Today families live here in an environment that exudes calm. These pictures give an impression of what the beguinages look like.
The Sint Rombouts Cathedral in Mechelen Belgium
Mechelen Cathedral is dedicated to Romuald. It dates from the 13th - 15th centuries. It can be seen with its tower from the old town. No wonder with a tower height of 98 meters. You can climb the tower via more than 500 steps. This one is unfinished. The climb is worthwhile for the view of Mechelen. The interior of the cathedral is also worth seeing. The cathedral impresses with its stained glass windows, the choir stalls and the paintings, including the altarpiece by van Dyck.
What you need to visit Mechelen
- You will do a lot of walking in Mechelen Belgium. Hence are Shoes important, in which you can walk well.
- If you are planning to go to a restaurant, then you should Pumps .
- People like to wear clothes in summer. Fit Sandals.
- Mechelen offers delicacies that are suitable as souvenirs. Chocolate from Belgium or beer are just a few of them. In one backpack you can accommodate them well.
- Forget yours Camera not, because Mechelen's Renaissance buildings tempt you to take photos.
A walk through Mechelen Belgium is not only worthwhile because of these buildings. Monastery buildings such as the Refuge of the Abbey of Tongeren, the Archbishops' Palace, the buildings that line the Grote Markt and Schoenmarkt, the Palace of Margaret of Austria or Margaret of York and buildings that make Mechelen a showpiece of architecture are worth seeing . You should only bring time to see them all.
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information and a selection in these booking options here. Rent a motorhome or a camper near you here. Or would you prefer to stay overnight in a roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in camping tents is possible.
- Check our packing list for campers to see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- Near Mechelen you can stay overnight in the bivouac zone Arcadia, 2812 Boortmeerbeek, Belgium. But there are other campsites near Mechelen. There you can after a day trip in a Dutch Oven or on the portable grill . You can also find Dutch oven accessories here.
- Practical accessories for the mobile home you can also find here.
- Why is a folding e-bike useful when camping?
Parking at the airport
Book yours here Arrival by plane, bus or train*. Brussels is the closest airport. It is possible to travel to Mechelen by train.
Hotels in Mechelen:
Book yours here Accommodation in Mechelen *
Do you already know:
- Èvora - UNESCO World Heritage in the Alentejo
- The St. Nikolai Church in Stralsund - UNESCO World Heritage
- Stralsund insider tips
- Luxembourg - a charming city of short distances
- Finance Holiday - Travel Blogger Tips
Source Mechelen Belgium: On-site research at the invitation of Tourism Flanders
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline